Little Brother StreamGraph
By: Jeff Clark Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008
I have created another StreamGraph, this one for the book Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow.
Click on it to see a larger version. It shows the distribution of proper noun references across the text. Here are a few things you can pick out
from the graph:
- major people referenced seem to be Darryl, Ange, Van
- lots of secondary characters like Charles, Marcus, Mom, Dad, Jolu
- Jolu appears primarily around the middle of the text
- Ange referenced much more often in the second half of text
- About 1/3 through the text there are lots of references to Booger, Zit, and Pigspleen none of which seem to reappear afterwards to any great degree
- Booger, Zit, and Pigspleen seem associated with Internet, Xnet
- Masha figures prominently in the end of the text but not beforehand
See the post Tom Sawyer Character StreamGraph for
a very brief description of how it was constructed. The design of the graph is based loosely on those created by Lee Byron.
Here is another for a different work by Cory, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.