Obama/McCain Economic Statement StreamGraphs
By: Jeff Clark Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008
The above StreamGraphs show the texts delivered by Obama and McCain recently on the American economy. Click on either one to see more detail.
Obama's remarks, given the title
Renewing American Competitiveness,
were delivered at Kettering University in Flint, Michigan on June 16th, 2008. John McCain delivered his remarks concerning
America's Leadership in the Global Economy
to the National Restaurant Association, in Chicago, Illinois, on May 19, 2008. Of course it's more informative to actually read the texts
but these things do jump out from the graphics:
- McCain mentions 'tax' a lot more than Obama
- McCain mentions 'tax' a lot more towards the beginning of his speech than the end
- McCain mentions the large numbers 'million', 'billion' and 'trillion' a lot, they aren't prominent in Obama's remarks
- Obama mentions 'teachers', 'schools', and 'education' a lot, not McCain
- They both discuss 'jobs' and 'trade' although trade is a bit more prominent towards the end of Obama's speech
- Obama mentions 'oil' and 'energy'
- McCain mentions 'farmers' and 'subsidies'
- Obama mentions 'Bush', McCain doesn't mention him with any prominence